Is guinea a male or female?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Miss Red, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas

This isn't a video of the guinea in question, but you can hear 'him' talking in the back ground of it. Also, here are a few random pictures of 'him'. Guinea is just under 7 weeks old now. He regularly chases off my ducks, fusses at any small problem, but for the life of me I can't figure out if he is a she... I'm going with male because most often he walks and just goes PEEP but every now and then makes a sound similar to the phrase 'hey you' not 'come back' like a female. I got two more Guinea's for companions, but they're still 2 weeks old at this point. if I can figure Guinea out, I can hopefully figure these two out when they mature.

I can get more pictures of Guinea, and a video of him out on his afternoon walks with his best friends the Aussie chicks if needed.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a female. I can't hear extremely well and so I couldn't hear its voice on the video, but by the pic it doesn't have the big funky waddle/dulaps going on like males have nor the large crest you typically see on males.

My vote is girly.
  3. In my Humble opinion one can ONLY tell the sex of a Guinea during mating season and the sound of thier call.
    If you hear a "buck wheat or come back" type of call you have a female. It is very distinctive and you can google
    for "female Guinea fowl call" and I assure you, you will get a hit.

Hope this helps

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Guinea is much too young to sex at this point. Give it more time. Some females don't make themselves known for more than six months.
  5. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    I tell by their waddles? The little things that hang down from there face. Any ways when they are old enough the waddle things are bigger and redder on males, they hang out not against their face like the females. after I sex them that way then I listen to their call. In my opinion yours is too young right now.

Julie [​IMG]
  6. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Okay so I need to wait a while longer to know for sure then. What about eggs? If its a female will it lay like a chicken or in a season like some ducks/turkeys?

Should I introduce Guinea to the other keets earlier on so they start getting used to each other? I'm planning on waiting until they're fully feathered, but I'm worried she'll stick to the chickens and the two of them will create their own flock?

I had Guineas as a kid but I don't remember anything about them other than Uncld Bo always saying females made a comeback call when -insert lost information about something here-

I am going to research on them tonight, and listen to calls/such. I had two whites and a wierd grey and this is the only survivor of a dog attack while they were free ranging... That's another story entirely. All I know is some guy gave me Guinea and two other keets at the feed store and didn't want them because they were "too loud". Personally I love how Guinea attacks/fusses at things for messing with her chickens and missed the sound of the adults screeching at snakes and strangers.

So... I'm rambling and its time to stop. Wait longer, look for eggs around six months of age or breeding season? Look up call types. Got it.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They lay seasonally and like to hide their eggs very well. Most will lay the spring after they were hatched. The females will make the call outside of breeding season when they are old enough. I was able to tell male from female in the middle of last winter before they'd started laying.

Just like I do with chickens I would wait to introduce guineas until they are fully feathered and closer to the same size.
  8. Guinea hens usually let you know who they are about the age of 8 to 10 weeks of age. I introduce a Guinea hen into the flock only in a pen so the others can see her but not get to her.

Guinea cocks tend to fend for themselves and i introduce them at age 12 weeks after about 5 days in a pen.

The hens are penned for 2 weeks, age 12 to 14 weeks and then allowed to free range.

It is important to do this as the male dominate Guinea will attempt to mate a young female and this can cause injury.

It is REALLY important that your young ones pick up an older Guinea for a bud if they are the only ones introduced.

Guinea birds can be rather nasty to one another, but I have never seen one kill or mame thier brethern. This does not mean it will not happen.

Guinea birds are extremely resilent to desease and external wear and tear. They are hardly ever seen walking, it is a trot or a run and they are
    EXTREMLY good flyers.

BTW, I band my female Guineas when I find out who they are. I do grab one every once in a while at roost and give them a once over for mites, lice and scaley leg
    mites. I also check for missing feathers during mating season and check the band. If I find a Guinea with missing feathers and no band I know they are being chased
    by other males. I ususall pen these ones so they will not get injured and usually they are good when the next breeding season comes along.

If you see a pair of mailes chasing each other, do not fret too much unless it goes on for a long time. You would think the one being chased would just go to flying off, but I think it is a game. I watched a pair in a full out run go around the barn about 20 times and i finaly broke it up as i saw they where patting really heavily.

Watch your birds and you will learn how they operate.
  9. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

my keets had their respective calls around 8 wks one girl 2 boys you could hear her twosylable call and the boys only had one sylable (sp) everyone is good except when it comes to mating time and the new boy guinea sometimes they get three high its hilarious to watch along with the chasing of one of the roosters that gets to close to the female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by