Is "harem" the correct term?

Dmontgomery

Songster
Apr 1, 2014
Longville, La
39 chickens, 3 are roosters. Each rooster has certain hens that stay around him during the day while they free range and roost together at night. (Yes, I have 3 seperate roosting areas in the coop.) Is each group of hens a harem or is that an offensive term to you ladies out there?

You can call them whatever you want. I call them a flock, and would say you have 3 different flocks. I've not heard the term harem ever used.

39 chickens, 3 are roosters. Each rooster has certain hens that stay around him during the day while they free range and roost together at night. (Yes, I have 3 seperate roosting areas in the coop.) Is each group of hens a harem or is that an offensive term to you ladies out there?
Yes, harem is a viable term for animals according to Dictionary.com
Animal Behavior. a social group of females, as elephant seals,accompanied or followed by one fertile male who denies other malesaccess to the group.

@centrarchid uses this term for groups within his flock.

Ok, thank you. The different hen groups are definitely devoted to one specific rooster. Even our new Guinea has decided to follow one specific guy and rarely strays from his side.

Yes, term as you use is suitable. When chickens in natural social groups the flock is not the best discriptor. I use the term sub-flocks for groups of juveniles that occupy a common home range but do not move about as a single cohesive group. A given harem can give rise to multiple sub-flocks during the course of a season. Harem and sub-flock structure becomes fluid during heavy molt through roughly winter solstice.

You are observing some of the more interesting chicken behaviors where they demonstrate more complex social behaviors and organization.

RE: @Dmontgomery 's ovation comment...
.....always best to start a new thread for intelligent questions, then other folks with more knowledge than I can chime in,
and everyone can benefit from the discussion either now or with future searches. <thumbsup!>

Back
Top Bottom