Is Harold really a rooster?

Shahann

Songster
Jan 23, 2014

I acquired a flock of chickens and this "rooster" from a friend that moved. I got my flock of 10 chickens and a rooster in Memorial Day weekend, 2014. Is this one really a rooster? The only indication that I have is that big comb on his head. She told me he was the rooster. I notice little rooster activity. He LOVES to sit on the nest. I do have an egg eater in the group. After my son starts school (next week) I'll be able to spend more time observing and experimenting with the blown out egg and the mustard trick. (If someone else has a better idea for finding an egg eater, let me know.)

He does not crow. He does seem to be the one that figures out things first (such as the nipple waterer, the treat ball, the apple/cucumber piñata.) He seems to be a little more dominant in the group and close to the top of the pecking order. I do not see him mating. I do see him trying to sit on top of chickens in the nest. But is this just to get to the eggs? There is a chance he is still young. The original rooster with this flock of Buff Orpingtons was victim to a coyote around February, 2014. My friend replaced that rooster with this one. He was the same size as the other chickens in May. I've had him three months. I'm guessing he was at least four months old when I got him, making him at least six months old.

When I tried to hatch eggs last month under an awesome brood hen, none hatched. There were no signs of chicks starting to form in the eggs after 25 days of being under the brood hen. I do not see a bulls eye on the eggs when I crack them. I cannot see an air pocket with a flashlight when I check to see if it is fertilized.

Any ideas?

Hen
smile.png

You know, if you're at all close to me, I can fix that "no rooster" problem easily
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom