Is hatching with detached air cell possible?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eagle Flight Farm, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Eagle Flight Farm

Eagle Flight Farm Songster

Jan 18, 2018
    Norman, OK
    We ordered and picked up 6 Muscovy eggs from a hatchery in our region. All 6 eggs are fertile, but for some reason on day 6 of incubation, one of the eggs developed a detached air cell. I have had the egg standing in a toilet paper core ring since that time and have tilted it at least 3 times daily in a varying direction. When candled yesterday, now on day 16, the air cell is still detached. The duckling is developing normally just as all the other ducklings in the eggs in our incubator. Has anyone ever successfully had a duckling hatch with a detached air cell? Other than keeping the egg upright and just tilting it a bit several times per day, is there anything else I can do to try to help the air cell reattach properly? Thank you for any help.

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I've never seen one become detached after partial incubation. If it doesn't reattach, leaving it upright for hatching would probably be your best bet.

If it were me (I have a couple turkey eggs currently with very loose cells, I'm treating similar) I would turn very carefully, minimally. Once the CAM is fully developed, it "should" be safe to stop turning at all, in hopes that it may set at some point before hatch. :idunno

Eagle Flight Farm and tootmany like this.
  3. Eagle Flight Farm

Jan 18, 2018
    Norman, OK
    Thank you!

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. Eagle Flight Farm

Jan 18, 2018
    Norman, OK
    With sadness, I am sharing the news that this little egg stopped developing. Something must have been wrong with it beyond what we could help. The other 5 Muscovy eggs are developing normally. Thanks to everyone for your caring and help.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: