Is he a Roo? (Orpington)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JayDe, Nov 11, 2009.

1. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I bought two buffs from a backyard breeder and I'm pretty sure now that one is a roo. His comb and wattles are larger than the other, he has less feathers (fuzzy back while his sister is feathered). I just wanted a confirmation. The crazy thing is that he LOVES attention and is gentle, but the sister is aggressive towards him and the other chicks (silkies). What do you all think? Oh-they were hatched about October 8th which would make them about 5 weeks old.

The one we think is a roo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

his sister:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Looks like a boy to me.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    looks like one, but I'm not that seasoned a breeder [​IMG]

4. JayDe

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    That's what I thought, but the personalities seem to be messed up. The female seems to jump at everyone with her feet, wings flapping. The one we think is a male is very friendly. Is that typical for Orpingtons? Thanks!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I've had that happen with many breeds of roos. They always seem more curious, and give you that cute tilted-head look, like "Whatcha doin?" That's a good thing! If he stays that way, you don't have to worry about having a nasty agressive roo on your hands.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Roo.

7. natkev

natkev Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Coast
    looks like a rooster

8. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Sorry to burst you bubble,but..................ROO.

9. JayDe

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    Yeah, he's most definitely a roo. I just wanted confirmation since this is the first time I've had one-my 16 week old EEs are definitely hens. Over the last week his comb and wattles have grown a lot and have reddened as well. He still has the better personality than his sister. What are Buff Orpington Roos like when they are grown?

I think one of our silkies may be a roo due to its behavior, but its the youngest, so it might just be a bold chick. I guess I have a long time to figure that one out [​IMG] Our plan was to keep a silkie roo if we end up with one, but we probably can't keep the Orpington roo if we do, right? with only a total of 8 chickens?

10. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    maybe a hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by