1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Is He a TRUE Serama

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ourlittleflock, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] hope I am posting in the right spot

K so what started this post is I had (or thought I had) a small flock of seramas for sell.. I had ordered hatching serama eggs and was very pleased with my hatch - but of course I ended up with tooo many.. so I listed a auction on this site and got shot out of the water, so to say, with someone telling me I should cull all of them - so my question is

Is "Ozzy" a true Serama - I WILL NOT CULL HIM - he is my favorite and don't be mean..
    [​IMG]

here is the link I learned to lady must of mixed seramas and oegb - what can i sell them as?? any help please - I just don't have room for them or the heart to kill when they are perfectly healthy...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=381004

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I cant tell, but my pet serama rooster is named Ozzy TOO!!! I just thought that was funny!!

3. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    He looks pretty Serama-ey to me.

4. GotGame

GotGame Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    saying you should cull them because they are not typey is not right. If you are attempting to produce show birds he would be considered a cull, but there are more than one meaning to "Cull". Basically in means remove from the gene pool, as in dont breed him. But if you are just wanting some small birds to have fun with I see no problem with him. I would call him a serama, just not real typey. We have 2-3 here that are about the same as him and one that is less typey. Dont sweat it, if you like them, you are the one feeding them and thats all that matters...

5. Diamante

Diamante Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    How old is he? My serama before he stood better and looked typey looked kinda like him. Mine was about 2-3 months when he looked like that though. I think hes cute.
    Lisa

6. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:he is about 12 weeks old in that photo - I need to get a new photo because now he is roughly 17 weeks old

7. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    You have beautiful birds! We get away with saying such and such a bird is not this breed or that breed because it deviates too much from the standard. Who's to say where the cut-off point is for one breed or the other? I know of a lot of dog breeders who's purebred pups do not conform, and Quarter horses these days come in all shapes and sizes. To say "yours doesn't look like mine, so they can't be the same thing," is silly. Now, if they had rose combs, or if they came in lavender, I'd say, probably a mix. The fact that some of them are very good examples of specific colors makes me suspisious as well. Nevertheless, your birds are adorable! And I like the birchen hen. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010

8. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:thank you - I know I shouldn't be concerned - I use byc for learning purposes all the time and was just looking for pass along the joy of a small flock - but just to be rude and say cull - kinda hurt my healings today - they just caught me off guard...

9. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    They are simply "pet quality", as opposed to "show quality". Nothing wrong with that. Look at all the PQ Silkies around. They don't get bashed for not being stunning.

10. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    4myboysandme, I'm sorry, I should have PM'ed you. The pic you have up on this thread appears to be a serama. I breed and raise OEGB's of good to excellent quality and am getting into the serama field. also. I agree it could have been said more constructively. As of yet, I haven't heard of anyone having a Crele serama so that is what clued me in. I've been had on shipped eggs before too so I just assumed you didn't know. If your bird that is Crele is actually a Crele OEGB, it is a NICE looking bird as well as the splash or whatever he is. They are all pretty birds but if you look at your seramas and those two roos, they should look different. The tail carriage is different and the legs of a serama are often yellow (but can be slate, green and a few others) while OEGB's of the Crele and Splash varieties have white or pearl legs as you can see in your photo. I'm sorry your feelings got hurt. I certainly didn't mean to do it if I did and the birds are BEAUTIFUL regardless. Cull to me means kill and I don't cull birds. If you are a good breeder and intend on doing justice to the breed, I would not use the roos in the listing as a seramas but that's just me. I would sell or give them away to good homes as mixes. You do what you feel fit, they are your birds and they aren't ugly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by