Is he an Americana Rooster or Hen?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gypsychicken, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gypsychicken

gypsychicken Out Of The Brooder

I have an 18 week old Americana. At what age is it determined if he is male or female? By his personality, we thought for sure he was a rooster, but he's not crowing, no spurs, no fancy tail. He is the alpha, the leader, challenges all of the others, the most friendly, but is HE A HE????

At what age would he crow? None of the other females are clucking yet.

When do spurs appear?

Is Joselito - JOSELITA???

Been spending hours online trying to find pics of Americana Ro's and Hens, but no answers.

Thanks for your time! [​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    If you post a picture then some experienced folks here will be able to tell you.

3. gypsychicken

Ok. That may take awhile as I have a new camera and am technelogically challenged...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

By 18 weeks I would expect a cockerel to crow. A few of our Ameraucanas are very dominant. I think "he" would be looking very rooish by that age, too.

5. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    You might have better luck looking up pictures of Easter Eggers... since there's no actual breed called "Americana". Hatcheries that say they sell Americanas are usually selling Easter Eggers. True Ameraucana (different spelling) or Araucanas are rare. But I agree, by 18 weeks, I'd expect a crow no matter what the breed. Your she-he might just be the dominent pullet!

6. gypsychicken

Thanks, Everyone!

She is just a very curious, fearless, and wonderful hen I guess. The true test will be IF AND WHEN I find a green or blue egg!!!

[​IMG]

7. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    yeah, my EE crows at 5 wks old. That is ridiculously early.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If he isn't crowing and has no tail by now, I'd say he is a she.

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My EE roo is 5 months and still no crowing so don't use that as an indicator. Nor does lack of spurs say anything. Look for long thin hackle or neck feathers, and long thin saddle or rump feathers. Sometimes the tail feathers can get pecked as they grow so you wont see the fancy ones. but the others feathers should be showing up by now.

Lanae

10. TulsaChick

TulsaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    My 18 wk blue Americana isn't crowing yet either. He just makes this weird sound to get my attention to let him out. But he is definitely a he. He has pointed feathers and getting a plumage tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by