Is he blue?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hunterjumper999, Jul 8, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baby Picture :
    he's in the middle
    [​IMG]

Possible daddies :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Possible Mamas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, He's blue and he's a cutie!!! [​IMG] He looks like a Swedish so I'd say Blue Swedish X.

3. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Is that even possible tho? I have a black swedish hen and the saxony and muscovy drakes...

[​IMG] thanks!

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep - I'd say Swedish momma, Saxony daddy.
    Saxony, I *believe*, is homozygous for the blue dilution, so he's got mom's Black Bibbed color with the addition of daddy's blue dilution. [​IMG]

Unless he's a part Muscovy mule. Then I have NO idea. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hmm... I don't understand your pictures at all. I don't see a Saxony drake in any of your pictures and several of them do not look like the genders labeled. Okay, I just went back and looked again. I see what I am assuming you are calling a Saxony. That is definitely not a pure Saxony if I am looking at the right bird. He is a mix, but clearly has at least one Blue Dilution gene so one of his parents could have very possibly been a Saxony. He would pass that Blue on to half of his offspring. Fawn and White carries double Blue dilution, so every offspring from a Fawn and White would have at least one Blue dilution gene. The Blue of the Blue Swedish is simply black combined with one Blue dilution gene.

There are several possible combinations that could give the color of the bird in question (and also the drake that looks similar to a Saxony), but I am still confused by what you are calling drakes and hens in the pictures. Anyway, several of the colors in question carry Blue dilution, so it could have come from multiple birds. I am guessing for multiple reasons though that it is your Fawn and White hen x the drake you are calling Saxony color.

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Yep - I'd say Swedish momma, Saxony daddy.
    Saxony carries the blue dilution, so he's got mom's Black Bibbed color with the addition of daddy's blue dilution. [​IMG]

Unless he's a part Muscovy mule. Then I have NO idea. [​IMG]

Could be, but I don't think it was the Black Swedish. The Bibbed gene does not typically create white around the neck like that at the nape, certainly not to that extent with the lack of white in the claret area. Heterozygous Pied though could very well give that white pattern (which obviously would have come from the F/W). The other reason that I didn't say the Swedish is because of the amount of brown leaking though on the bird in question. Extended black even in one dose typically would darken the plumage more than that (although of course, there can be brown lacing in extended black birds as well). It looks more to me like the result of the Dusky showing through (again, which would have come from the F/W).

Editing to add- The bird in question is also obviously heterozygous for Blue. Since F/W is homozygous for Blue, all offspring get at least one Blue. This means the bird had to get at least one "not Blue" from the daddy. If the daddy was Saxony this would be impossible because Saxony is also homozygous for Blue. The bird that looks similar to Saxony though is way too dark to be true Saxony (hence probably heterozygous Blue or Bl/bl). I think this strongly suggests the drake is a Saxony mix or some other mix that looks similar.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i got a blue pied from a solid white scovy and a black pied scovy [​IMG]

he's very cuuute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by