Is he doing his job?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KyleD., Feb 10, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    i have 3 hens and a rooster and i've never seen him breed a single one. is he doing it when im not watching? they've only been together since saturday but he's been around other hens and roo's his whole life.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have a couple roosters that I see breed hens all the time and a couple that I hardly ever catch in the act but my fertility is high so I know it's happening. One way to tell is to crack the egg and look for the "halo".

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Just give them time they just met [​IMG] Yesturday morning I was thinking my rooster wasn't doing his 2 ladies, but then last night I caught him in the act.

4. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    okay thanks. i really hope he is cause im about the purchase him 7 more hens to go along with the three and fill the bator full.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Give him about a week with the new girls to make sure he's getting at all of them and they are fertile. Then crack a few eggs and check fertility and set the rest for a test hatch. Good luck!

BTW, what kind do you have?

6. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Okay thanks i will. They are Golden Comets.

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    If you are getting fertile eggs, then he is doing it without you noticing.

Good luck hatching chicks if you get eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by