is he going to die??plz say no

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maytham, Mar 8, 2014.

1. maytham

maytham Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    my 18 week old rooster got attacked by an older chicken, he gave up to her plucking on his feathers towards the end of the fight. He can barely walk a couple of steps without loosing his balance, he is clumsily walking. I gave him water with a tiny teensy bit of apple cider vinegar, and some garlic with his food, he drank a bit and ate a bit, what else should i do???????

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If he has any wounds you need to clean them,then apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane' toxic to chickens). Give him electrolytes for shock,keep him warm(when ill/injured/in shock,birds cannot regulate their body temp). He could have an injury to leg,when he walks is using his wings for balance and does he flop/hobble along,if he does then it is a leg injury,possibly a sprain. Check his leg for swelling/wounds,etc.

Keep him quiet/warm and in a cage(limits mobility for leg injuries) inside home to monitor his condition. Keep him separate from other birds until he is feeling better. You will have to watch that this does not happen again,he is still very young at 18 weeks and cannot defend himself against an attack from an older bird. Make sure he is eating/drinking. How does his poop look?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is this the one from yesterday with the mysterious feather loss? I would place him in a cage, so that he can heal, eat and drink without being bullied by the others. He may have some brain or neck damage affecting his ability to walk. Another possibility is that he has Mareks or some other disease, and the others are trying to kill him because they sense that he is sick. You need to feed him well with good protein, watch for symptoms of wry neck (twisting side to side, or up or down) and get him healed up. Then re-introduce him gradually back to the flock if he is healthy.

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I would seperate him, and check, care for injuries - just as ten chicks suggests.

He is young, the older hens will put him in his place as not fully mature yet and may not accept him as "the roo" until he is older. Care for him and will get better, maybe even learned he has to do a bit more wooing of the ladies before he tries mating them.

Hope he is better soon.

5. maytham

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    no he is not, the feather loss one actually got better thank god. thanks

6. maytham

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    ive put him in a seperate cage, quite small, he is able to stand up without falling over, he just cant walk, there are no wounds either. i guess it could just be shock then. ill give him until tomorrow and see how he is, ill update you guys
    thanks for your concern!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since you have more than one rooster, there may be some fighting or bullying starting to happen, especially if the roosters were not raised together. Even if raised together, they may be fighting for control, food, hens to mate, etc. Your injured rooster needs to have food and water in his cage. Good luck.

8. maytham

Mar 7, 2014
    dubai
    it looked like he was just in shick, he got better and can walk around properly, he also started looking around the garden for insects too, which he never did before! Thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by