Is he going to drown her???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curiousduck, Jun 4, 2008.

1. curiousduck

curiousduck New Egg

Jun 4, 2008
    We put a male pekin duck with our females. He immediately went after one in the pond and it looks like all our ducks might be dead by morning. We thought he was drowning her. What is normal behavior for these kinds of ducks in the water? Is he being too aggressive and should we be worried? Or are we just being too paranoid and should be back off? We're thinking of removing him. Any info on the mating rituals of pekin ducks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    I believe he's just being friendly [​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

I don't know about Pekin ducks, but I have Runner ducks and they do the same thing. I have watched wild ducks on the river and they do the same thing. I believe that all ducks do this. He is just getting to know the ladies. You should be getting some fertile eggs to hatch before long. Good luck.

Dorothy

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Definetly normal. They prefer to breed on water. Your going to have lots of babies. My duck pond was bought as a gold fish pond and isn't really roomy enough for their natural breeding habits, but they have managed to mate and I have 8 eggs due to hatch from her late this week, or early next week.

Contrary to popular belief your hens will go broody given enough time! Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by