is he just being a stupid teenager?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rooneytune, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    My roo has just figured out what hens are for (at least from his perspective) [​IMG] so far he is really rough with them... Lots of grabbing and yelling from all parties involved. Will he get better at this and learn to be more gentle? I hate to see the feathers on my girls getting pulled out and roughed up as he tries to be all manly....

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    remember also not all men are the same, this roo might be a wife beater... [​IMG]

3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

That being said. I had the same question when my roo came of age. This is what I was told....When the girls mature they will "submit" to him and it won't seem so violent. It's true! I think the girls will sometimes call him over now. [​IMG]

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    ours is still pretty clumsy and he picked the one sassy hen as his favorite [​IMG]

5. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Those posts are hilarious. [​IMG]

Our Stormy was only 3 months old or so when he started bumping at Amberbock. It was pretty funny seeing her reaction. "Get off of me you stupid kid!"... LOL.

Gotta love hormones. [​IMG]

6. Allsardane

Allsardane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    My rooster is still getting the hang of his teenage hormones. He is with 10 ladies, 3 of which are banties.

This morning he grabbed the bantam frizzle cochin and tried to go at it. She was making particularly distressful noises so two of my hens, a blue andalusian and an egyptian fayoumis immediately ran over and kicked him in the head hard enough to break his concentration and let the bantie escape.

I'm assuming he will calm down a little with age, but if age doesn't fix him, getting ganged up on by the more vocal members of the flock will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by