Is he sick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jasloz, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jasloz

jasloz New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    I have a three week old cotournix quail that might be sick. Lately he's been crying a lot and seems to have diarrhea. This is my first batch of chicks and I've already lost a few. I thought I was doing everything right. They have proper heat, food, and fresh water. Can someone please help? I don't want to lose another chick.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    How sanitary are their surroundings? If your quail are having diarrhea it may be some kind of internal parasite. Quail tend to be very susceptible to parasites.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Could be a couple of things. Do you still have them under heat? Diarrhea coupled with death can be from being chilled or over heating. Make sure they are at proper temp in the brooder for 3 week olds, somewhere around 80 degrees. No cover on your brooder other than a screen or wire to allow good heat and oxygen exchange.

Keep the brooder as clean as possible, all poop picked up, dry bedding, clean water daily, crud out of the food.

Young babies this age are susceptible to Coccidiosis. They have not yet developed enough immunity to control this protazoa. Diarrhea is a symptom of Cocci. Is there any blood in the poop? Any mucus? Any of these symptoms coupled with deaths is likely due to Cocci. Since you have lost a few already, if this is not due to a heating or chilling issue, most likely they have Coccidiosis.

If you suspect Cocci, you need to get them on Corid or something with Amprolium in it. Do you have them on any medicated feed? If so, you will need to get them off the medicated and onto unmedicated feed so you don't over dose them and get them on Corid. You can get Corid at most feed stores. For the Liquid Corid, use 2 teaspoons per gallon. For the powder, use 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon. Make a fresh batch daily. Make only enough for your flock so if you only need a quart, cut these dosages in quarters. Corid is used in the water for 5 to 7 days. Do not feed any added vitamins during this time, only their starter feed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by