is he sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teresa42299, Oct 5, 2013.

1. teresa42299

teresa42299 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    our bantam rooster isn't doing to well. he hasn't crowed in the past very days. he keeps making this weird sound every few seconds. I think he has a runny nose. earlier today his waddle was very pale but I'm not sure now because its dark. he pecks at the ground for food and he drinks. is he sick? whats wrong with him?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may be sneezing--it kind of sounds like a hiccup. I would watch him for more symptoms of respiratory disease such as bubbles in the eyes, thick nasal secretions, and swelling of the eyes and face. He could have infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma. If he develops the other symptoms I would probably medicate him with Tylan 50 injectable 1/8-1/4 ml into the breast muscle for 3 days. Google common poultry diseases and you will find diseases and symptoms.

3. bertiesmum

bertiesmum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2013
    That sounds like myco plasma. We brought two hens from an auction and they had this. We thought we was going to have to put them down as they were so poorly. They had water pouring out of their beaks. They were very depressed and just sat huddled together. Weird gurgling/purring noise especially at night and would sneeze intermittently. It didn't look good. However, we treated them for two weeks with tylan and look at them now: [​IMG]

They are very happy and don't seem to have any problems. They will always be carriers so there is a chance they could pass it onto our other hens and there is a few sneezes in our coop but we just keep an eye on them. And if any of them develop any symptoms other than the odd sneeze we have anti biotics at the hand.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like a respitory illness of sorts.it does not have to get worse ( eyes swelling more sneezing ect.) For it to be dangerous to him and your flock. I learned the hard way chickens are very good at conceling illness.i almost lost my whole flock and my respitory symptoms in my flock was depression and rattled breathing. You don't want it to get out of hand. Trust me on this. .I would start treating with tylan 50 injectable. Dose for small birds is 1/4 cc large birds 1/2 cc once daily in the breast muscle for 5 days. You also should bring him in or make a area away from your flock. Some illnesses can spread so quickly. As I've learned the hardest way. The tylan should help. I wish you the best. I don't want to scare you but if I can help someone due to the tragedy I went through then that's good. don't wait till it gets worse. Id treat now. I learned a very hard lesson with my flock. Seperate the birds that are ill orit can spread and trust me you don't want that. Loss can be devastating. Don't let it happen to your flock. Hope this helps. GOD BLESS!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. bertiesmum

Sep 12, 2013

Totally agree. It's best to nip it in the bud. Ours had rattly breathing and were very depressed. We had them on tylan for two weeks and now they are like different birds.

7. teresa42299

Apr 25, 2013
    he seems active but not very active. he stopped making the noise but I still haven't heard him crow. his waddle seems a bit redder. when we let him out for a few seconds while we clean his waterer he walks out and eats a bit of grass. he gets excited when it dinner time and I think the water on the beak was just water but im still keeping a close eye on him. will try to keep updates and maybe a picture if possible.

8. bertiesmum

Sep 12, 2013
    Have you seperated him from the rest of your flock?

9. teresa42299

Apr 25, 2013
    he is separated, he seems to be doing better. his wattle is redder and he seems to be making the noise lest often.

10. bertiesmum

Sep 12, 2013
    How's your boy doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by