Is he trying to crow at only 5 weeks old? Silver Gray Dorking

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I have a five week old Silver Gray Dorking cockerel, Duke. This weekend was the first time I opened the coop and let him and the girls out in the chicken yard to spend the whole day.

Duke kept sticking his neck out, holding his head high, and moving his beak like he was trying to crow - but nothing came out. No sound at all. Sometimes he'd flap his wings afterward. Then he'd just start pecking around, making his peep-peep noises - and occasionally cluck. He just starting the occasional clucking this weekend too.

I checked his neck to see if he was having trouble with his crop (they were all eating ants and everything that moved), but he seemed just fine. He doesn't exhibit any behavior of anything wrong, but when he's in the yard, he frequently *acts* like he's trying to crow.

Duke is the only Silver Gray Dorking I got when I ordered, and he is about twice the size of the other chicks and very well developed (large pink comb, wattles forming, etc.). When I got him he was the same size as all the other chicks (McMurray said they were hatched on a Sat. and I got them Monday).

I know 5 weeks old is extremely young to start crowing - but I have no other guess as to what he's doing. Does anyone else have Silver Gray Dorking roosters? When did they start crowing? Any guesses at what he is actually doing if not trying to crow? I'm just very curious.

Thanks,
Penny

Hi, I don't have a Dorking roo,but bantam roos.They just mature alot earlier than standard chickens do.It's so cute to see them so small trying their lungs out,sounds like someone is strangling them,lol.
lol.png

I don't know anything about Dorkings, but I had a batam cochin roo that started crowing at 4 weeks old. It was hilarious to watch! I'd say he's trying to crow...or just practicing for when he's a bit older! LOL

My husband swears he really is trying to crow. There are 2 roosters up the hill from us that crow back and forth all day long. My husband thinks Duke is trying to join in and let them know he's got his own harem down here.

But did they go through the motions first, with no noise coming out? He really LOOKS like he's crowing - but there is no sound. It is completely adorable - and his little wing flapping afterwards makes him look so proud! But there is no sound coming out at all.

By the way, he is an absolute sweetheart. Extremely gentle and calm. He runs up to me every I near the chicken yard. Here's a picture of him from this weekend (the day after he turned 5 weeks old). It's not a great picture because I cut off his beak with the camera, but it shows off his comb and wattles - and his size in comparison to the Silver Leghorn to the left of him:

chicks5-1.jpg

I guess some people would love to have a silent crower! I suspect he'll figure it out in time though.

Thanks,
Penny

Oh yeah, Duke's working it out!! Wait until he actually starts making a sound, it'll be ROUGH! My SG Dorkings took forever to ge the raspy, gravelly, choking sound down to an actually decent sounding crow. But, they're crow is pretty involved compared to some other rooster types I've had. Glad you're enjoying him. Good Luck!
smile.png

My 4 and 1/2 week old EE started crowing this past saturday and it wasnt at all what i expected. It was like a mini crow. Not that horrible screech like with the BR roos I have. The BRs scared the bejesus out of me when they started crowing. I had them in my caviary when they were little and they scared me and all the cavies LOL.

Thanks farm_mom. I love all 23 of my chicks - but Duke is such a handsome, sweet boy. I am TOTALLY impressed with the SG Dorkings. So calm and good natured.

I can't believe he's really figuring out how to crow already! As dumb as it sounds, it really makes me proud! I may just go outside right now and find a worm for him......

LOL!! I can relate, it's one of my favorite sounds, hands down. And we've been very impressed with our Dorkings as well. Although, they've gotten more aggressive than I would like at this point (nearing 16 weeks) but we have too many roos. So, I think that's more the issue than an excessive amount of aggression in the breed.

Back
Top Bottom