Is head bobbing always courtship or can it be aggression?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jen1979, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jen1979

Jen1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our 2 new Cayugas are in a pen next to a couple of our other ducks. The Cayugas are female and next to them is a female and her 9 week old son. The Cayugas only arrived yesterday.

I noticed today our female in the other pen and one of the new girls are bobbing their heads at eat other and quacking super loudly. The feathers on their necks seemed to be slightly raised. Are they showing aggression towards each other? We had 2 other ducks in this pen up until yesterday and I didn't see any of this type of behavior with them.

I'm not sure if I'm just interpreting their loud carrying on and head bobbing as dislike for each other or not!

2. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Typically, head bobbing is a 'mating' motion, although mine bob their heads when they are in their pen and see me in the kitchen (their pen has a clear view inside the kitchen window), kind of a "we're happy to see you, come on out here!" thing ;)

Cheers'

Dan

3. Jen1979

Thanks Dan, hopefully they're showing they like each other! Maybe they're just having a very loud conversation. At the moment I think I'm going to have to take some eggs over to my neighbours to say sorry about the noise...

4. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Our neighbors all have multiple dogs, so I don't sweat the little's quacking!! (all yards are well fenced, fyi)

5. Jen1979

Haha, yep, we've got one neighbour that plays really loud music, 2 that have chickens, one who has a rooster and one who plays bagpipes at all hours of the day! None of them are allowed to complain about our ducks ;) There's only one neighbour who doesn't have any animals, but I've overheard them chatting happily to our chickens over the fence, so I think we're ok.. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by