Is heat exhaustion a real thing for chickens?

Pics

jllracer55

Chirping
May 23, 2017
So after going to our coop today for the disapointment to find 4 dead chickens I am wondering if they too can suffer from heat exchaustion like we can?? And if so wat can I do as I appear to have 2 more that dont look so great at the moment, really looking for suggestions to help perk them up.. was considering sugar water or honey water perhaps?

So after going to our coop today for the disapointment to find 4 dead chickens I am wondering if they too can suffer from heat exchaustion like we can?? And if so wat can I do as I appear to have 2 more that dont look so great at the moment, really looking for suggestions to help perk them up.. was considering sugar water or honey water perhaps?
Yes it real. In my opinion chickens handle the cold better than the heat.they don't sweat so they can overheat very quickly. If possible provide fresh cold/ice water for them. Make sure they have shade, and a dust area since this keeps them cool. Put a fan for them, feed them frozen treats such as fruit and veggies. Some people invest in a mister to keep them cool. Mine free range so I spray them with the hose when they are lurking around the porch looking dredful. If you have some that are suffering heat exhaustion maybe move them inside. Give them some electrolytes I use sav a chick. You could also keep this in their water daily so they have what I call chicken Gatorade. I believe a fresh batch will need to be made daily. I'm not sure about sugar water or honey but that could help. If they don't drink it themselves you may have to assist.

Sorry for your loss. Bring the other chickens inside and cool them in cool, not cold water. Try to get them drinking water, offer watermelon or cantelope. Electrolytes or gatorade are good to use.

What is your coop like? Small coops can heat up in hot summer days. Metal roofing or poorly vented coops can become ovens. Getting outside in shade and having shaded water and a large wide pan of water to stand in to cool legs is helpful. Adding more indows or vents, and a fan can help.

Absolutely, I lost one to heat stroke two weeks ago. Get them cooled down quickly. I suggest dunking in cold water. That's worked for me.

I think the 4 died either yesterday or Saturday, it stinks. :( Ive lost like 7 so far this year now after this. I took watermelon out and all but 2 are drinking and I keep misting these 2 with water and trying to get them to drink it by assisting but that seems to work for only a few seconds then they like plop down again or stand with their eyes shut

I think the 4 died either yesterday or Saturday, it stinks. :( Ive lost like 7 so far this year now after this. I took watermelon out and all but 2 are drinking and I keep misting these 2 with water and trying to get them to drink it by assisting but that seems to work for only a few seconds then they like plop down again or stand with their eyes shut
:hugs I'm sorry. You need to get them cooled ASAP. Do the water bucket thing or bring them indoors.

How old are these birds and how long have you had them? What does their poop look like? This might be heat stroke but it could also be coccidiosis or Marek's disease for that matter.
What is your gut feeling? Do you think it could be heat stroke or possible disease. You can see your set up and must have a better idea than us about how hot it is, if they have sufficient shade and ventilation throughout the heat of the day etc..

They are right around 20 weeks or so I believe. I am honestly not sure if it is heat stroke or something else, they seem to suddenly be dropping like flies. I had 3 more tonight that 1 could barely hold her body weight up, one was real lethargic and so was the last rooster of this crew. I was close to trying to mix them with our 2 year old hens but if there diseased I dont want to do that. The coop sits under trees most of the day and 3 of 4 sides are open with hardware cloth but wevealso had high heat indexes here and this happened suddenly although I think ive read that one of those diseases does this :/ im not sure what else to do farm stores were closed before i could act tonight. I put a fan on them and made sure water was full, as I think I messed up and didnt check that over the weekend.

They are right around 20 weeks or so I believe.. I put a fan on them and made sure water was full, as I think I messed up and didnt check that over the weekend.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you post some photos of your chickens, the housing (coop/run) and the poop?
Are your chickens panting?

Do you think they ran out of water? If they did, even if it's night time where you live, I would turn on some lights and bring in each one individually and try to get fluids into them, don't wait until morning. Plain cool water is fine if that is all you have. You can also give diluted Gatorade or Pedialyte.

Can you tell us what you are feeding your chickens?

Van i ask what the temp is? What I'm reading it looks like you have a lot more then heat going on. Unfortunately any illness still only be compounded by heat, they can't recover from one while dealing with the other.

Another question is wheredoes you get these chickens and how long have you had them?

My temps have been over 100 I'm dumping and refilling water daily, adding ice to the water and soaking ground where they like to lay...

Back
Top Bottom