Is hen still laying fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kitkat2498, Mar 1, 2013.

1. kitkat2498

kitkat2498 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    I recently bought a hen (recently being yesterday :p) and I got her from a flock of three. There were the two girls and the roo. I'd like to know if she is still laying fertile eggs? I know that a hen will continue laying fertile eggs for two-three weeks after she's been with the roo, but I don't know if my girl has. Is there anyway I could know? Besides asking the man I purchased her from if the roo and her had been together? And if the roo and hen had been together,could I hatch her eggs? Thanks! Oh,and I haven't got any roosters, just my girls.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    If her eggs are fertile, yes you can hatch them. You can always crack one open and look for the blastodisc. If it's fertile, then you at least know that a roo mated her somewhat recently. Then you could save subsequent eggs for hatching.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Odds are overwhelming that she is laying fertile eggs. However, I'd be gathering for the next 7 days and go, go, go. The clock is sorely ticking as you cannot be sure the rooster mounted her in the last week, as they do play favorites.

After 7-10 days, fertility rates will begin dropping.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Thankyou so much! Very helpful!

5. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Crack one open....[​IMG]I'm not sure I could do that to the poor chickie (if there is one) But thank you so much for the help! :)

6. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Well, if you haven't started incubating it yet, there's no chickie in there. Just a little white bullseye on the yolk that would eventually become the chick. We eat fertile eggs all the time, heh. They're no different from infertile eggs, aside from their potential. :) But Fred's right, her fertility will start to drop off quickly, so if you don't want to waste a single potential egg, just save a few up and start incubating!

7. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    I most definitely will start incubating! Thank you so much!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    sometimes if you move a hen from another location they stop laying for a bit but if yours still is then good for you

10. Jotaylor

Jotaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Your story sounds like mine! We got a flock of 15, 2 were roosters, we kept 4 hens and gave the rest away. Today is day 21 of incubating 5 eggs which 3 have made it this far! Waiting, waiting, waiting! Its killing me I want them to pip so I can see how this whole thing goes. Plus I just acquired 5 bantam eggs that I will know if they are fertile in about 3 days when I candle them. Good luck to you with your adventure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by