Is her chest supposed to do that???

MuskokaChick

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Muskoka Region Ontario
I have 2 silky hens, one has gone broody, and the other is still laying.

Because the broody one is trying to sit on all the eggs, I have marked 8 for her and I just keep taking away the newer ones.

this morning I picked her up to make sure she was only sitting on 8 (found a new one) but it felt like an egg was stuck to her chest...when I looked it was her actual skin all pumped up and HUGE...as i have never seen a broody hen before, I am assuming this is normal...?

Were you looking at her crop? When she gets off the nest to eat, she can really stuff her crop and it will get huge. As she digests the food, it goes down in size. As long as it goes down over time, she should be OK. Hope that is what it is.

idunno.gif

yeah I don't know...and since I haven't seen her off the nest in a few days I would assume she hasn't been eating much. I did put some scratch down next to her this morning...so I don't know...

thanks

sound like she ate some of the stratch. but i would watch her. i lost a broody to heat i thougth i was doing it right , then a big ops. even though it food right next to them they may or may not eat. but try to make them take something and drink
good luck!
jumpy.gif

Her water is right next to her...mind you she would have to get up..maybe I will try putting some water right in her face...and see if she drinks.

I can't believe they can sit there for 21 days...She is on about Day 6...I will try to candle on Day 10 and see what we have and keep an eye on her for food and water

Thanks
s

One thing you might consider is keeping the feed and water a little ways from her so she has to get up to get it. Otherwise she will just sit in one spot all the time which can't be plumb good for her, and also she will poop all over the eggs.

Oh, do you know what that white stuff is in chicken poop?

Answer: chicken poop!

Sorry, I've just been dying to tell that to somebody.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom