Is her comb too pale?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txhall3, Nov 24, 2015.

1. txhall3

txhall3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas
    [​IMG]
    This is Aurora our 8 month old Black Copper Marans hen. She is a healthy weight, acting normally, and was wormed with the rest of the flock just as a precaution in October. Her comb just seems to be more pale than the other hens. The bottom right to me is the most accurate pic, the rest look a little more red than it does to me in person. They are all different breeds so I was wondering if this is within the normal range. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. txhall3

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas
    Edit: accidentally posted info twice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Copper Marans are lovely birds. She looks fine. She's not laying, right? The combs pale when the days get short and the weather gets cold. I had a couple Copper Marans and if I recall correctly, they are not reliable layers. Combs also pale when they aren't routinely laying. Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health in chickens because the color changes in response to so many things, few of which are actually health related. Her comb is pale likely because of light changes, temperature changes, and hormonal changes. I think you do not need to worry about her. She's gorgeous.

4. txhall3

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas

5. txhall3

May 1, 2015
    Leander, Texas
    Somehow my reply got put in with the quote, I am so technologically challenged! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by