Is her eye gone? Pics. Update Infection in two birds now. Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tamrajh, May 21, 2010.

1. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    My babies are about 10 weeks old and have been with the adults until Wednesday when I noticed that one of them was getting picked on. At first I thought it was fine but then I noticed her legs were bleeding. 2 others were having problems so I gathered all 3 and put them back inside thinking I'll just wait until they get bigger and stronger before I put them with the big ones.
    Tonight when I got home I noticed one of the girls had a swollen cheek and after checking further I think her eye is gone. It's either gone or really swollen up.
    Any suggestions on what I should do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My smallest chick, same age as all the others but she's extremely small due to having crooked toe and not as able to get around as the other girls. I'm working on that but tonight I noticed that her eye is stuck closed too, just like the first one I posted about.
    After look at the pictures of one that really is missing, it's obviously not missing, just swollen. What should I put on it? I looked at the triple ointment but it says to keep out of the eyes so I don't dare use that.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm going to say it's just very swollen. Go to a farm store and you can get some teramycin (i think) eye ointment that should help if there is an infection in there. Hope it starts getting better soon!

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree. Pick up some opthalmic antibiotic. I would put it in her eye at least twice a day. Even if the eye is damaged and she is blind in it, she will do fine. The antibiotic will keep infection away. I have a one eyed duck and she does great.

4. RoosterMania

RoosterMania Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Blackshear
    I had Buff Orp whose eye got swollen like this. I put triple antibiotic ointment on it for a few days and it returned to normal. Hope it helps.

5. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    If you can, isolate her from the rest of the flock so the other chickens don't pick at her and make it worse.

6. Tamrajh

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    The guy at the farm store recommended Tetracycline so I've started her on that. I hope it helps, she looks miserable.
    Thanks for all your advice!

7. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I dealt with a pecked eye for the last 24 hours. I read on here that good old triple antibiotic ointment was great, and COULD be used IN the eye. The guy who poted it is an eye doctor. 24 hours after the first application and her eye is almost completely healed! Every 2-3 hours, and clean it with some warm water on a rag or paper towel before applying the med. I put some duramycin and electrolytes in the water with ACV just in case it was systemic, but seriously, $2 a tube Walmart brand triple antibiotic ointment like you put on your kids skinned knees.

Rob

8. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    One of my hens lost her eye. Your photos look like the eye is just swollen, if the eye was gone, the lid would be sunken in like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tamrajh

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    Yeah, it's just really swollen after looking at your pics.
    I've isolated three chicks (now 11 weeks old) from the flock. Another chick has the same problem now but her eye isn't near as swollen. Do I have a disease on my hands?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by