Is his comb alright with small black spots w/*pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motoclown, Jan 9, 2011.

1. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    We adopted Claude almost 2 months ago and quarantined him for a month.
    He has done well with his 4 new girls.
    Although he's a little like a teenager, hormone driven and lacking technique, but he's young and the girls put up with it.
    He also leads the girls around the yard and into the snow, they were a little weary of the white stuff,
    but now they realize that the snow is not going to hurt.lol
    So I noticed a few black spots on his comb and was wondering if was something to worry about.......

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That is not frostbite. I have never seen it in person, but that looks like favus. Favus is a fungal infection that starts out on the comb and spreads all over the entire body. It is easy to treat when it's just on the face, but gets much more difficult to treat as it spreads.

Here's a link to a recent post on this condition including pics of birds severely affected and mildly affected so you can compare to your bird.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5438207

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. hardmanzz93

hardmanzz93 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    mine have the same but there seems to a bit more discolouration in his comb with the black around the edge. mine have a cpl black dots but bright red combs??

4. motoclown

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I can see me going to the grocery store and explaining that one.

"I'm buying Monistat 7 for my cock, no really It's for my chickens." [​IMG]

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you have roses in the yard? Sometimes my girls get a little too close to the roses and end up with a few black dots on their combs. This is what it looks like to me.

Make sure there's no blood, if there is get some blue kote for a wound.

I do see the tips of his comb a little dark though. Perhaps he'll need some Bag Balm or Vaseline on it.

Mary

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Did Claude come from a home with other roos? We adopted our roo from our neighbors, who had WAY too many roos, and they were fighting. Our roo had marks on his comb too, that looked similiar to yours. His were from fighting, though, and healed up nicely.

ETA: I looked at Claude's pic again, and the white on his comb concerns me. Especially in the front. Almost fungusy looking? Not sure if that is normal for him though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Try using Daktarin , it's marketed for athletes foot treatment, or Formalin
    Quote:

8. motoclown

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Off to the grocery store in the morn to see what kinds of cream they have.
    And maybe a trip to the pet store for some meal worms, because I started my meal worm farm a little too late this fall.

Claude is a rescue, he was not in very good conditions, so we thought we would give him a chance.

Some kids picked him up at a flea market this spring.
    He was in a rabbit cage with another rooster and a turkey for the whole summer and fall.
    We took him home late October.

Here he is with the girls under the trampoline.

[​IMG]

9. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have a very jumpy OEGB and when i got him, he would bump his crest on the top of the cage and bleed a bit... looked just like your roo in the picture... so i agree with the rose bush idea...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by