Is honking noise with no other symptoms normal?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
My 12 week old pullet got her big girl voice lately, but she’s been making some odd noises. Occasionally, she makes a breathy honking noise in between normal clucks. (Buk buk buk brrrrrr, buk buk buk brrrrrr). She generally does it when she’s more talkative. During preening, dust bathing, and when in distress (like separated from her flock mates). I held her up to my ear, no labored breathing. Her breath was not audible. No nasal discharge, no swollen eyes, and as active as the other pullets. Could a honking noise be just the way she talks? Or could that on its own be a sign of respiratory illness? She only makes this noise occasionally, and she talks normal most of the time, so I don’t know wether to be worried or not.

Attachments

• 99E4AA8B-F3E5-4121-960B-BE88B19B298C.jpeg
    99E4AA8B-F3E5-4121-960B-BE88B19B298C.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 60
  • BCA0231F-6078-496F-A3F2-70AD597C276E.jpeg
    BCA0231F-6078-496F-A3F2-70AD597C276E.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 21
My 12 week old pullet got her big girl voice lately, but she’s been making some odd noises. Occasionally, she makes a breathy honking noise in between normal clucks. (Buk buk buk brrrrrr, buk buk buk brrrrrr). She generally does it when she’s more talkative. During preening, dust bathing, and when in distress (like separated from her flock mates). I held her up to my ear, no labored breathing. Her breath was not audible. No nasal discharge, no swollen eyes, and as active as the other pullets. Could a honking noise be just the way she talks? Or could that on its own be a sign of respiratory illness? She only makes this noise occasionally, and she talks normal most of the time, so I don’t know wether to be worried or not.
At 12weeks they can make all kinds of noises. Sounds like she's just now getting into her big girl role.
Honking like a goose is a favorite of mine when they are young, they usually "grow out of it", but I had one that made that sound all of her life beside all the "big girl" noises too.

Enjoy it!

At 12weeks they can make all kinds of noises. Sounds like she's just now getting into her big girl role.
Honking like a goose is a favorite of mine when they are young, they usually "grow out of it", but I had one that made that sound all of her life beside all the "big girl" noises too.

Enjoy it!
Lol! Her funniest goose honk is when she gets frustrated at me for picking her up. Glad it’s nothing to be concerned about on its own :)

We had a cockerel who honked, I named him Goose. He seemed to do it during moments of anxiety, like when I was insisting they go to bed early.
Then one of the older OE pullets seemed to take it up, only she would honk while excitedly running up for scratch, it seemed to mean "make way, coming through".

My guess is, the meaning is to get the flocks attention without being an actual alert.

It's so cute I wish every chicken honked!

We had a cockerel who honked, I named him Goose. He seemed to do it during moments of anxiety, like when I was insisting they go to bed early.
Then one of the older OE pullets seemed to take it up, only she would honk while excitedly running up for scratch, it seemed to mean "make way, coming through".

My guess is, the meaning is to get the flocks attention without being an actual alert.

It's so cute I wish every chicken honked!
Agnes (said pullet) has always been fussy! She was the noisiest chick of the bunch. She hates being separated from her sisters and gets very honky when she’s anxious! I noticed the honking more today because I bathed her (in practice for an upcoming show). She was very grumpy and hated the dryer, she honked the whole time. And even more honking as I put her back in her coop to preen herself! After a few second she settled down and was quiet. I guess she was just fussing at me, lol.

I have one pullet, bielefelder named Daphne who makes a high pitched chirp or barking noise when excited about a treat or whenever she finds something extra tasty when foraging. The poor girl always loses out on her treasure bc all the others have learned what that sound means and come a-running. :drool

She looks just like my Olive egger girl! I have 2 and they both make the most wild noises, way more than the rest.
She’s my blue Ameraucana! It’s been a while now and from observing her it seems like she only honks when she is excited or stressed out. I hadn’t heard her honk for a while until she got into a fight with one of the other girls! Seems like it’s just how she expresses herself. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0350_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0350_Original.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom