Is Hot water bottle enough to make my chick warm

Reptile light bulbs are 25 watts to 60 watts (use less energy) and cost less. Not sure if anybody has tried them

Because I was brooding outdoors in a central NC summer (night temps no lower than 68), I used reptile night bulbs at 100 and 60 watts (stepping down to a 40 watt regular bulb as the chicks grew and the nights stayed in the low 70's). I used these bulbs in a regular heat lamp and it was quite successful for this circumstance.

Hello can I ask if I can keep my chick warm with a hot water bottle because my dad wont let me buy a heat lamp so I might be forced to use hot water bottle
Since your mom's family has chickens, do they by chance have a heat plate you can borrow? If you have an electric heating pad, you can make a cave out of that. There's links on here with ways to make them.

Yes, but it will depend on how high the light is mounted to give the proper temp. My turtles heat lamp is only 25 watts, but it needs to be 6" above the basking platform to get the temp to 95 degrees. Do you have a thermometer to measure the temp? Even a BBQ thermometer will work.

Yes, but it will depend on how high the light is mounted to give the proper temp. My turtles heat lamp is only 25 watts, but it needs to be 6" above the basking platform to get the temp to 95 degrees. Do you have a thermometer to measure the temp? Even a BBQ thermometer will work.
I dont have a thermometer

does your brooder have a wall? what I did was put on a lamp with a 100w light bulb and shone it against one wall of the brooder. when the chicks were feeling colder, they would hug closer to the wall. Since you only have one chick, I would give it a stuffed toy or something soft to snuggle up against... hot water bottle will work, if that's all you have, you might want to keep refilling it to keep it at a good warm temperature.

Back
Top Bottom