Is humidity on a digital hygrometer a "wet-bulb" reading or is it a re

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ewe Mama2, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    I know I am asking what should be a no-brainer, but my humidity readings seem so high compared to the examples in the books that I don't want to steam my poor babies! Please let me know if my digital thermometer/hygrometer reading is for relative or wet-bulb readings. Thank you![​IMG]

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    if it is a digital combo kind with temp and humidity then it is relative humidity. The wet bulb kind have a cotton wick on them.

3. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thank you so much. Now I know my humidity is wayyyyy too high (I'm getting 86% readings on both of the hygrometers). I appreciate your help!

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    You're welcome [​IMG] Just take some water out and get it back down. What day are you on with the eggs??

5. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    The eggs just arrived to day and are settling down. If I can get the humidity correct, I'll try to get them in the incubator before I turn in for the night.

I have been taking water out of the pan, but it hasn't made any difference in the humidity yet... As soon as I put the lid back on, it goes back up to 87%. I've totally emptied the water now, and will await a new reading. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    cover part of the pan with card board humidity is controled by surface area. what type bator do you have?

7. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    It's a Genesis 1588. It's literally running dry right now and the hygrometer is already at 61% and the temp is only at 78 degrees. I just put the lid back on, so I'm hoping things will get into the right range soon. [​IMG]

8. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    I have tried a few of the digital temp and humitity type devices. I have never been able to get two of them to agree. I finally spent the $30 or so to get a wet bulb /dry bulb set up with MERCURY (not whatever the other option is). Mercury is MUCH more accurate. I got mine from Lyons. You have to call them to get the Mercury one but it is the same price.

I really rely on my wet/bulb for accurate readings. I have a digital Brinsea Advanced 20 and an R-com. All of the "factory set" calibrations were off for both units.

Hatch rates MUCH better now. [​IMG]

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:A Genesis 1588 is a Hovabator ? right?

If you just emptied the channels in the bottom your bator is not empty yet.. there is still a lot of water that has to evaporate yet.

your hum% can actually go up at this point..

You will not be setting eggs by tonight if you are going to do it right..

what you have to do is run the humidity as low as it will go.. it takes my LG a good day to do this.

once the humidity holds at its lowest % you can start to set up your bator..

do not add any water at this time..

raise your temp to 100.5F and keep it there until it stabilizes..

now add 1 ounce of water..

your temp should drop..

as long as you keep water in the bator you should be good to go..

If you should somehow run out of water, your temp should not go over 100.5..

10. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Did you fill both or just the inside one try just the inside one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by