Is in an abscess or possibly an injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ATGATT, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ATGATT

ATGATT Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    I noticed my hen was a little lopsided on her breasts. I managed to catch her to look and feel under her feathers. The skinand feathers look normal, but the lump looks to be the size of the front third of a golf ball. Also, the area is somewhat firm. I can provide more pictures if requested.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Could it be her crop full of food? I think we've all thought our chickens had a tumor when we notice that full crop for the first time. Is it on the top side of the chest?

3. ATGATT

ATGATT Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    Yes. It is on the top right side of her chest. I'm not familiar with a crop. What is it?

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It's where their food goes when they eat. It fills up and then slowly empties as they digest their food. See if sometimes it feels more empty. I once thought all of my chickens had tumors and it turned out to be their crops.

5. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    It's most likely just her crop! All my chickens have big lopsided chests after they pig out, then in the morning it is empty again. No need to worry! [​IMG]

6. ATGATT

ATGATT Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    Thank you all! I noticed it was bigger this morning and realized it seems to get bigger and smaller as I look on different days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by