Is Insulation Needed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by llamagirl, Mar 28, 2009.

1. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Would insulation be needed in Western NC where the temperature even in winter usually remains above -10 degrees? I am trying to make a chicken tractor and want to make it as lightweight as possible. Also 1/4 inch plywood vs. 1/2 inch? What would the problems be?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    You'll end up loving your girls and then you'll be sorry if you didn't insulate. The pink foam insulation is light weight and has a high R value relative to its thickness.

3. finallychickens

finallychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    Be very careful with insulation. They love to eat the blue foam board kind. I guess they would like the pink kind as well. I had a nice insulated coop and had to rip all the insulation out or cover it with pieces of cardboard. Didn't seem to hurt them when they ate it, but it can't be good! Diane

4. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    my coop is corigated tin, should i insulate the walls? i live in Texas and we get 4 or 5 days in the 30's on average

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For a tractor in W NC, you don't *need* insulation, but it will make your life a lot easier (in a tractor especially -- b/c you will [hopefully] be having somewhat proportionately more airflow than you'd need in a full sized coop). I'd do it. For a tractor I'd use foamboard covered with thin plywood or thin panelling or that sort of thing.

For a tin coop in TX, the main value of insulation would be just to prevent condensation on those few days when the temp gets down near freezing. I'm not sure it's worth it. It never *hurts* to insulate of course, but I'm not convinced you'd get much value out of it. Doubt it'd keep the coop any cooler in the summer -- shade and/or ventilation would be much more helpful for that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I always find everyone so helpful on this forum.[​IMG]

7. skooterbumm

skooterbumm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Waco, TX
    OK thanks for the input I just need one more question awnsered.... what is the difference between drafty and ventilated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by