Is integrating adult ducks with other adults difficult?

TheStooges

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Savannah, TN
I would like to add a couple females to our current flock. We have 4 females and one drake. I will definitely keep it at one drake! He’s a wild man. We also have chickens and geese. Will adding a couple ducks be worth it or is it just going to make them all crazy?

Additionally, right now I have pekins and Muscovy. The drake is a pekin. Are runners, rouens and khaki Campbell too small?

Last edited:
I have muscovy and added runners. They are small, but not super small like calls. I haven't seen any issues other than the runners figuring out their place. Runners like to stick together, so I would suggest getting 2 or 3.
Rouens would be at least as big as your females and most likely bigger. I think khaki are a little smaller, but not by much.

I would like to add a couple females to our current flock. We have 4 females and one drake. I will definitely keep it at one drake! He’s a wild man. We also have chickens and geese. Will adding a couple ducks be worth it or is it just going to make them all crazy?

Additionally, right now I have pekins and Muscovy. The drake is a pekin. Are runners, rouens and khaki Campbell too small?
You should be totally fine adding a few more. There will be a little fighting initially while they figure out who's boss, but since you are wanting to add girls, things should settle down pretty quick.

I've had a pekin drake with rouens and khaki's. They did fine, I don't think you'll have a problem with the size difference. Rouens actually (at least mine) are only slightly smaller than the pekins. Now if you had a muscovy drake, I would be a bit wary, I had one accidentally kill a khaki trying to mate her. Those guys are beasts though, way heavier than my pekins.

I would personally add a couple of the same ones if your going with the smaller ones like khaki or runners, then Mr. Pekin doesn't lavish all his attention on one small girl. I always had a least a few girls of similar sizes.

Also, yours sound a lot like pets, I will warn you, runners are pretty flighty! I love mine, and they are very fun to watch. But no matter how much time I spend with them when young, they run from me like i'm the devil. Even when I bring food, they wait till I leave or have my back turned to indulge. If I have to herd them of move them, they literally trip over each other in a dash to get away. All the other ducks come right over for food, but not the runners. Just thought I'd mention that!

Thanks! This is great advice! I did actually add 3 khakis, at least one being a khaki/pekin mix. They integrated so easily but they are super flighty in comparison to the pekins we already had. Same kind of thing, tripping over each other to get away. They have just started eating when I throw treats but they stay on the outskirts of the flock.

Thanks! This is great advice! I did actually add 3 khakis, at least one being a khaki/pekin mix. They integrated so easily but they are super flighty in comparison to the pekins we already had. Same kind of thing, tripping over each other to get away. They have just started eating when I throw treats but they stay on the outskirts of the flock.
Oh, I'm glad it's all working out! My apologies for reviving this...my tired brain read it oct 22, not august lol.

They sure are flighty! I have been able to tame my khakis down pretty well (not like lap pets or anything, but they will come over to me for food) so just keep working with them! Hopefully with your others being friendlier, they will calm down in time. They are always my best layers, and I love how they look! Khakis are so cool.

Hehe, sounds like you have a lovely flock there, enjoy them!

You should be totally fine adding a few more. There will be a little fighting initially while they figure out who's boss, but since you are wanting to add girls, things should settle down pretty quick.

I've had a pekin drake with rouens and khaki's. They did fine, I don't think you'll have a problem with the size difference. Rouens actually (at least mine) are only slightly smaller than the pekins. Now if you had a muscovy drake, I would be a bit wary, I had one accidentally kill a khaki trying to mate her. Those guys are beasts though, way heavier than my pekins.

I would personally add a couple of the same ones if your going with the smaller ones like khaki or runners, then Mr. Pekin doesn't lavish all his attention on one small girl. I always had a least a few girls of similar sizes.

Also, yours sound a lot like pets, I will warn you, runners are pretty flighty! I love mine, and they are very fun to watch. But no matter how much time I spend with them when young, they run from me like i'm the devil. Even when I bring food, they wait till I leave or have my back turned to indulge. If I have to herd them of move them, they literally trip over each other in a dash to get away. All the other ducks come right over for food, but not the runners. Just thought I'd mention that!
Lol my runners too ... we handled them so much when they were little but to no avail!

Back
Top Bottom