Is is broody season, or what?!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Oct 9, 2013.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok, is there something in the water lately, or what? I understand hens going broody in the spring, but we just had a cold snap and I have FOUR broody hens, including a broody red sex link, which just shouldn't happen. I put two of them in broody boxes and gave them eggs, but the other two are just going to have to go into the Broody Buster. Good grief!

Anyone else having this problem right now?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Weird, I am in Ohio also and in the last two weeks I have had a bunch of bantams, three Marans, a Delaware and a Minorca try and go broody, that is more than have tried the rest of the year put together.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Must be something in your feed. Just kidding! Who knows why hens decide to go broody?

[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wish! I'd love a broody right now.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You pay the shipping, and I'll send you a lovely 2yo Red Sex Link that's decided to go broody lately. A RSL! Cmon, what's up with that? And I'd give you a buff Rock that's incredibly stubborn, too. Of course, I finally broke down and gave her some eggs last night since she's gone broody about four times this summer and I just didn't have the heart to fight her again on it.

6. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    My silkie mix keeps going broody. I put her in the breaker, release her, a few days later she lays an egg, the next day she goes broody again. We are on round three today. She is holding the nest box hostage so the others are mad as can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by