Is is okay to feed chickens dog food?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Detail, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Detail

Detail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Its winter here in AZ and there is a lack of bugs. My chickens are free ranged, but I give them plenty of chicken food. I have noticed that they are loosing weight (probably cuz there's no bugs). Is it okay to feed them dog or cat food along with their chicken food? I give it to my ducks and they seem to love it. They might have worms too, but I have been putting DE in their food.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I give mine a little cat food from time to time as well as plain yoguart. They will sneak into the house to steal the dogs food.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught!!!

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

yep...I've been to National shows and seen the champs being fed dog food as treats...especially that soft dog food (not wet food) that comes in packs.

4. Detail

Detail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Okay that's good! I will feed them dog food on a regular basis to see if they gain any weight.

5. dixiechick

you can also feed then hamburger meat too (raw). I've made treats with hamburger meat, wheat germ and rolled oats. They LOVE it...it also calms nervous birds down too. I treat them with this when we go to shows...

1 person likes this.
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm... that sounds suspiciously like meat loaf to me... [​IMG]

Do you use raw hamburger and just mush in the wheat germ and rolled oats? Are rolled oats just a variation on the oats you make oatmeal out of? Can they eat it raw? Mine love cooked oatmeal, but I've never tried raw.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. dixiechick

I just mush all the raw stuff together...they love it...

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    some dry dog food swells up when moisture is added..

You might want to moisten the doog food up before you feed it..

9. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:I'll second that. I own a dog boarding kennel and if a dog does not finish his food I add water, let it soak and give it to the chickens. It's gone in seconds!

10. Yes dog food is ok to feed to chickens , ducks and geese but should be wetted down first so it swells before they eat it , or thats what my STROMBERG book says [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by