Is is safe to candle on day 20?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gameboygal12, May 18, 2011.

1. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Is it ok to candle my chicken egg at day 20? It hasn't piped yet or anything, So I wanted to see if it was still alive. My instinct says no, But I just wanted to hear what other people had to say.

2. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    wait

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wait. They're not due until day 21 and often hatch much later than that. Besides, you're probably not gonna see much. I'm not very experienced but this is what I was told. IF they are internally pipped you don't always hear peeping and you could shrink wrap them. My first hatch I was convinced nothing was alive. Day 21, I heard chirping, Day 22 they hatched. My 2nd hatch...convinced nothing was going to hatch, didn't hear chirping from any of the eggs, all of the sudden I had a chick and tons of pips...still no chirping. Sooo. be patient and go with your gut and wait.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have had no sound or movement in eggs and al of a sudden I will have chicks in the bator. The dog will hear it before I do most of the time and she is right there watching, she is a good "chick mom dog"

morganalefae likes this.
  5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    They should be in lockdown on day 20. They are not supposed

to start hatching until day 21, so this egg is most likely perfectly fine. Your

not going to see anything this late into incubation, either. Nothing but

darkness and the air sac. Just wait. [​IMG]

-Scissor

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Just wait.It is just one day.If you candled in day 10-15 and you saw an embryo moving then its probably alright.

7. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks guys! I last candled it before lockdown at day 18 and it was moving so I guess it's fine. Now I need to leave the house soon so I'm not starring down this egg!

8. Mixbreed

Mixbreed New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm in the same boat rowing the direction, LOL Waiting is best, as everyone here has said. [​IMG]
    I'm and day 20 and starring down the eggs, Had to go to work though, Which is good,
    Tomorrow will be hard, I'll sit and watch all day. LOL
    Hope your hatch goes well. and the little chicks are happy and healthy.
    All the best.

9. Colleen228

Colleen228 New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    I am just reading this as I am new to this. I am not a breeder but just a kindergarten teacher trying to give her students a fun and exciting experience. Wow what stress!! I am on Day 16 (started counting the morning I put the eggs in the incubator). Therefore Day 18 should be Sunday and I need to take them out of the turner and don't know what to do as my school is not open.

Dilemma, do I take them home and risk moving them or do I leave them and take them out on Monday AM first thing and put them on lockdown then and hope that it is not too late.

Help! Any advice in the next couple of hours would be much appreciated.

Colleen
    Ottawa ON Canada

10. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Hi Colleen, I think that you'll be fine to take them out on Monday. You really don't want to shake up the incubator too much now that they are established. If you do this again just calculate your days to coincide with your presence. Good luck!

Edited to add this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by