Is is safe to introduce Marek vaccinated pullets to our non vacinated?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CA Bean, Aug 25, 2008.

1. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    I have read many of the threads here about vaccinating or not vaccinating...I still can't get a real good feeling about it. So I thought you all can help me out.
    So I am thinking of buying some light Brahmas but those guys have been vaccinated for Merek's( sp?) but my chicks that I have are about going on 2 weeks 2 are almost 3 weeks and was wondering if I should buy the Mareks vaccine for these guys too? I know I read somewhere that 3 weeks is pushing it right? So my 2 may be too late? I live in California on the Central coast. We do have neighbors who have chickens as I hear roosters all the time and my sister in law who will live accross the way will have chickens too from the same batch..what dya think? I would hate to lose my whole flock. I have now 16 chickies.

2. CA Bean

anyone done this before?

Should I vaccinate my others? ( even if we don't get the other vaccinated ones)

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I had a conversation with the head Vet at Fort Dodge and she said to either vaccinate them all at the same time OR keep the vaccinated ones away from the non- vaccinated ones for a two week period. This includes cross contamination such as going from one coop to the next without sanitizing yourself. The reason being that it was a "live" vaccine that I was using. Am not sure regarding a "killed" vaccine! Hope this helps in your decision.
    Tim

Please forgive me CA Bean!!! I had been reading another post regarding IB and thats what I was responding to - So very sorry with my confusion. Getting old aint a lot of fun sometimes!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. CA Bean

Well so I may not get those other one which were brahmas..but still wondering if I should vaccinate for Merek's anyway.. Seems like a lot do..but I do like the organic feeling of this even though I know I read somewhere that organic chicken sold still is vaccinated. I just don't know enough about chickens and their immune system.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Any time you get new chickens you should quarentine them for 30 days before introducing them to your established flock. When in quarentine you want to be careful about going from one coop to the next. This would take care of your vacination time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by