Is isolation normal!?

SwtGrc

Chirping
Dec 2, 2017
Northern California
8E69346C-8935-4828-A30D-308B7B497B63.jpeg
i went out today and noticed my jersey giant hen (8 MO) sitting in the dust bath, not really moving. I picked her up and she only refused a little. After watching her for a while I noticed she walked away from everyone else to lay down. Zero interest in greens, just sits there. I took a video but not sure it will upload here.
Eyes closing and tail slightly pulsing.
Worried about being egg bound but not sure what to look for.
Suggestions please!

If you post your video to YouTube, you can copy the URL and paste it here and it will automatically post as a video when you hit "post reply".

There can be more than one reason why a hen would behave lethargically. When you see a hen acting droopy, you need to take her indoors and carefully inspect her from head to toe.

Start with the crop. Empty? Full? Sauerkraut smell? Hard lumps? Check in the morning first thing - if it's not empty, she has a crop disorder.

Check eyes and nares. Any swelling or mucous discharge? Bubbly eyes?

Check poop. Normal or runny? Color?

Now we're down to the far end of your chicken. Swelling in the abdomen? Do you feel something hard that could be an egg? Any discharge from the vent? How about lice or mites on the skin around the vent?

Legs and feet. Check bottoms and tops of feet for swelling and black scabs. Any other signs of injury? Scales - smooth or are any lifting up and separating from the legs?

Balance - is she able to stand? Or does she wobble and try to prop herself up on a wing to keep from falling over?

Do your chickens free range? Any machinery leaking fluids onto the ground where the chickens pick up grit and scratch for bugs? Insecticide use lately?

Somewhere in there are clues.

Back
Top Bottom