1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Is it 4sq. feet or 2sq. feet per chicken in coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shellyb, May 6, 2009.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    I thought when I started reading about chickens I saw that it was 2sq. feet per chicken when they have access to outside and 4sq. feet when they don't. Now everyone on here has been saying 4 sq. feet regardless of outside space it seems. Anyone know for sure? TIA

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    4 sq feet/bird inside and 10 sq ft/bird outside. Overcrowding causes all sorts of problems [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Belle. The more space you can give them the better.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Ditto.

The 2 sq ft/bird inside is used for broilers (Cornish X).

5. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Depends on the bird. Usually I hear 4sq ft for standards and 2sq ft for bantams. Then meat birds are generally kept in fairly small space.

6. gkeesling

gkeesling Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    If they could come and go outside the coop all they wanted then you could probably go with less than 4 sq. ft. per bird, but if you live in a northern area there is part of the winter they are going to be cooped up in the coop for a time. If you only have 2 sq. ft. per bird it will get awful crowded during that time and they will peck at each other something fierce. I live in Indiana, but if i lived in, say, Tennesee where they wouldn't be spending all their time in the coop during the winter thenI'd feel more comfortable going less than 4 sq. ft. per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by