Is it a bad idea to move my incubator at lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 7, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So, I'm on day 21 of hatching and three have pipped. Due to bad temps in the beginning, I wasn't expecting them to hatch until maybe day 23. Anyway, my incubator is in my basement, and it's driving me crazy going down there all the time to check on them! I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to bring the incubator up into my living room so I could keep a better eye on them???

TIA!!

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    I don't think I would. You have your incubator set to run in the temperature of your basement and bringing up may change that. assuming that your basement is cooler than up stairs.
    Also, if you have water wells in your incubator carrying it and moving it might cause the water to slosh out of the wells and change your humidity. You may be using sponges which would make this point a non-issue.
    Best of luck on your hatch. [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Hi, I don't know that there is a right or wrong to this question, but if it were me I would move it upstairs. Just keep an eye on the temp and enjoy watching the babies hatch.
    Nancy

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you should leave it in the basement.. Not that moving it would be a bad thing, but you will not fiddle with it as much with it down there.. besides, you need the exercise..

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I say no. The ambient temp and humidity change would probably be bad, and the danger of banging/dropping and other stuff isn't worth the risk. Happy hatching! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by