Is it a bad thing to put some dried up bread in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bock_Bock, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i have a full size loaf od baugette bread and i was wondering if i was to break off a section and dry it out, if it would be fine to put in the brooder for the chicks to peck at, and yes i will still have the chick started and their water

2. todd walker

todd walker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    E TX,Mabank
    Funny I used to live in Hayward,hwy 92 and hesperian,then behind cal-state.
    But the guy I got my chicks told me the best thing for them when in the brooder is med.-feed,and vit. in the water,said there would be plenty of time for treats when they go outside.
    good luck

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    you use to live right by chabot college then, i just got regular starter feed , i just wasnt sure about bread i dont see why you cant spoil them young lol, just dont know if their little stomachs can handle it as it will prob grow inside from soaking up liguid even tho the bread would be dried

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    If you do feed them the bread make sure you have grit in there for them to eat also. Anytime you offer anything other then chick starter then you have to give then grit also.

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If you put it in, put in a very small amount, as bread (esp. white bread) is not very nutritious. And also grit as newchickmom said. If you want to give them treats, more nutritious things would be plain yogurt, washed cottage cheese, scrambled egg, bugs or worms (make sure they eat them!), small cut up grass clippings, or chick scratch. Some don't like to give them other foods, I think it is good for them to get to know different foods, and have some interesting things going on in the brooder.

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thank i will stay away from bread but the other stuff i will get them

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would think baguettes would be too hard for them.

My 9 week old chicks love carrot tops and clover though. (they have access to grit)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by