is it a barred rock or cuckoo maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quintinp, Jul 16, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i have a chicken that i bought from a trade days, it is a plymouth rock,,,, but it is also a cuckoo maran, the person that sold this rooster too me said,,,, here is a pic [​IMG]

HE ALSO HAS VERY BRIGHT YELLOW LEGS

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    hello,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??????????????????????????????????????????????????

someone out there who can actually help,,,,, i am stuck in a rut if this is not a barred rock, i paid 8 bucks for him, and i have a whole bunch of his babies halfway through incubation,,,, i would really like to know,,,,,,

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

a pic of legs would help barred rock have yellow, cuckoo have pink....

ETA pic of cuckoo maran legs ....I would say yours is a Barred Rock

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, to me, he looks like a black sex link rooster. He is very dark for a pure BR and I see a few solid black feathers, which usually indicate a black sex link. Can't even see the leg color to tell you anymore. A better body shot would help.

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    well,,, now i am very mad [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] why did i buy this freakin' chicken [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am so mad now i wish there was a smilie that cussed because that's how i feel,,,, well turns out he is a black sex link, he has the green feathering on his wing and tail feathers AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I know how you feel! Is it that hard for them to get their info right! I was supposed to get a SLW and got a cuckoo maran. I also was supposed to have gotten a cochin americana mix and it is actually a bantam porcelain d'uccle!!! oh and he is a a he not a she like he was supposed too. Sexing is one thing, but atleast they should get the breed right!!!

7. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Sorry my brain is not functioning today [​IMG] and I just want to make sure I understand. Did the person who sold the roo to you say that it was both a Plymouth Rock and a Cuckoo Maran?

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Sorry my brain is not functioning today [​IMG] and I just want to make sure I understand. Did the person who sold the roo to you say that it was both a Plymouth Rock and a Cuckoo Maran?

This would be a better way of wording it [​IMG]
    Was the rooster sold to you as a Plymouth Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Maran.

One could cross a Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, Columbian, Blue or Black Plymouth Rock Rooster over a Barred Hen and there offspring would still be a Plymouth Rock but
    they also would be a Black Sex-Link. [​IMG]

Chris

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK

This would be a better way of wording it [​IMG]

One could cross a Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, Columbian, Blue or Black Plymouth Rock Rooster over a Barred Hen and there offspring would still be a Plymouth Rock but

Chris

See much better ....... I'll go find my brain. I know I put it in a safe place. I just don't remember where that was.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:This would be a better way of wording it [​IMG]

Chris

See much better ....... I'll go find my brain. I know I put it in a safe place. I just don't remember where that was.

I'll go find my brain.

LOL, well if it's like mine it was there the whole time and just on one of its many breaks.

Chris​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by