1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it a boy or a girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by texaschicks, Jun 8, 2008.

1. texaschicks

texaschicks New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    texas
    I'm brand new to the forum and to raising chicks! We have 5 chicks: 2 RIR/Aruacana mix and 1 white chick that are almost 8 wks. old; 1 Black Austrolorp, and 1 Barred Rock that are 5 wks.old! The younger ones we got at the feed store and are suppose to be pullets (99% sure). The older three I brought home from the school where I teach. I was a sucker for those little balls of fluff! Would you please help with identifying what breed and gender the white one is and confirm my fears that the RIR mix is a roo? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    IMHO, the RIR x looks to be a roo... sorry. The white looks like my white rock at 8 weeks, and looks to be a pullet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well first off [​IMG]
    The first chicken shown looks like a rooster. The white one I don't know the breed.

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I say roo and pullet too. My RIRs are 3+ months old and do not have wattles or combs like that.

5. texaschicks

texaschicks New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    texas
    That's what we were thinking, too. We have a nice family that will take the "she-man"! My husband thought she was just "big boned"!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by