1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is It a Cold, Allergy, or Other Breathing Issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychickinthecountry, Aug 10, 2011.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I have a 6+ month old Silkie hen that has been kind of sneezing the past few days. I have been reading some threads about how chickens sometimes have breathing problems with head and humidity. I live in North Central Florida and my typical daily temperatures in my coop (with 2 fans have been in the upper 80s to low 90s.

I do not mist spray water in the coops at all.

When this hen sneezes, it kind of sounds like a cluck. She drinks and eats normally and otherwise seems fine...eyes are clear with no discharge, no nasal discharge, etc. All other chickens seems normal (all but one of my other chickens like to leave the coop during the day and free-range).

This hen, as long as I have had her, has always seemed a little slow. I have a special needs human child, so trust me when I say that I can make the comparison in how the hen behaves compared to my human child. I can just tell. Not that she is necessarily mentally retarded, but just that something isn't quite right. She's not a "typical" chicken. Sure, she eats, drinks, scratches sometimes, and clucks when she hears another chicken cluck, but she doesn't interact with the other chickens. I have another Silkie hen that is about 2 months younger that is so attached to this hen that when I separate the two, the younger hen cries. [​IMG]

Any ideas as to what might be ailing the sneezing hen (allergies, cold, heat-induced issues)? Should I give her some supplements of some sort?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It could be because there food produces dust and its making them sneeze. But some chickens just sneeze for no reason. It is normal dont worry.[​IMG]

3. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks, mabeyjoey. [​IMG]

Is there a point that I should worry? Obviously, if she stops eating or drinking...or if she seems to lose weight. Anything else that is a sign to get her to the vet right away?

I work full-time, so it's so hard to keep a close eye on my babies. [​IMG] I wish I could check on them 100 times a day, but I can't. Such is life.

4. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    This hen ended up passing away. No idea what happened, but I suspect that it was some sort of respiratory infection. RIP Pepper. [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry about poor Pepper. I have found silkies to be more delicate than other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by