Is it a crested or Bali??? not sure???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by teresa-78, Jun 26, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I purchased my runner ducklings from 1 day old.... and im in love [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose Patrick becasue he had the cutest mohican ever.....

[​IMG]

Him (or her) now.................

[​IMG]

I thought as he grew he would lose this tuft... but its increased rapidly in size, and has a ball of fatty tissue (like a skin tag) sticking
    out of his head.... all my googling has came up with the crested or Bali runner... am rather shocked as the breeder never said anything,
    But I love him, and his tuft.... Does anyone know about crested runners???? any info would be appreciated..... or is my Patrick not a crested????

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

i think he is bali

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    While the BALI duck and the CRESTED INDIAN RUNNER are essentially the same- there are a few differences as well.

You have a Crested Indian Runner.

I say this because a true BALI actually has shoulders and a runner doesnt - also the Bali is a slightly heavier breed than Indian Runner ducks.. Also the colouring. The Bali duck is most commonly white- or less common is brown. The colour pattern of your Runner would suggest that at some point a crested duck has been bred with an Indian runner thus passing on the crested gene into a breeding flock of Indian Runners. The True Bali duck is far less common than the crested Indian Runner due to the fact that a double dose of the crested gene is lethal- and therefore less offspring actually hatch.

4. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Ahhh yes I read that it is very unlikely an egg would hatch if both parents were crested, due to the duckling being more than likely deformed!!!

I love my crested [​IMG]

Thanks very much duckyfromoz, you seem very knowledable [​IMG]

5. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

sorry, im not good at answering questions lol, think i will leave the answers to you ducky lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by