Is it a Dominique if there is no white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jaimedes, Oct 18, 2016.

1. jaimedes

jaimedes Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    I have what I purchased as a Dominique Pullet as a chick. I have had "her" for a month now and there is still no white barring. There is some white around the face and some random spots on the sides. Does their barring show up later? Or do I not have a Dominique? Thanks!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

What kind of comb does it have? Dominique should have a rose comb. If you can post a pic, that would help. However, birds from the hatchery often times don't fit the standards of perfection for their breed. One of my Wyandottes has a straight comb for example. And sometimes mix ups can happen both at the hatchery or at the feed store. I could see the barring on my BR shortly after they started feathering in from what I can remember.

3. jaimedes

May 13, 2016
    Thank you for your reply! I will get an up to date photo of "her" today after work and post it. I am sure that would be helpful! Also I have a gold laced Wyandotte "pullet" who is probably a cockerel. I will post a pic of him too. As you can tell this is my maiden voyage into chickens, and so far I am loving it! I am just trying to be sure of what my flock is. :)

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Did the chick in question have a white spot on its head? If not then it won't be barred.

5. jaimedes

May 13, 2016
    It had/has white around the eye area, but not on top of the head if that is where you mean.
    I bought one "Dominique" and one Black Australorp. One has the white eye area, one does not, but neither has barring. I will post pics of both of them later after I get home to take some new ones. Thanks!

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yes, I meant the top of the head. The spots can vary in size, and are present in all barred breeds.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And McMurray's video of Dom chicks.

1 person likes this.
  7. jaimedes

May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. jaimedes

May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. jaimedes

May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

I found some white in her wings tonight. Hopeful?? :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like an Australorp. I see points on that comb. Definitely not a Dominique.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by