1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it a draft or ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TwoCrows, May 27, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    During these summer months, is an open window in the coop next to the roost bar ventilation or a draft?

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    If you are in New Mexico you will need more than an open window during the summer. Coops built with 4 walls can get hot enough to cook a chicken inside. Do a search for open air coop or open air chicken houses..that will help a lot.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's all a form of ventilation. In warm weather, a breeze blowing directly on the birds would be good. But in cold weather, that same breeze (except icy this time) would be harmful - a draft. So really what differentiates drafts from good ventilation is temperature, at least in simple terms.
    Does that kind of help???

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:This is the information I was interested in knowing! My coop is in under a covered area and does not get too much hotter than the outside temp. (I am up at 7,000 feet and we don't cook like the desert areas of this state.) So of course, being in New Mexico, we cool down quickly, and so does the coop. But I have been wanting to open this particular window next to their roost for a while but wasn't sure if this was too much of a draft. I thought that it was warm enough that it was more ventilation than a draft, so you have helped me greatly!!

I am going out now to get them all tucked in bed and I will leave this window open. [​IMG] Thanks so much!

Last edited: May 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by