Is it a good idea to get chicks vaccinated for Marek's Disease?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lillypurrs23, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    We're getting new chicks from Meyer Hatchery to add to our flock. Our 4 hens that we have were not vaccinated for Marek's, should we get the new ones vaccinated?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I'm new to chickens but personally will not do vaccines. I'm not a fan and will let nature take its own course. Plus I dont want the added stuff in their meat and eggs.

2 people like this.
  4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I asked for my chicks to be vaccinated because I don't want to chance loosing any of the four that I got to something that could have easily been prevented with a buck fifty.

5. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks! I don't think we are going to get them vaccinated, unless my parents change their minds.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I got unvaccinated chicks last year and they all suffered and died because there were no signs or symptoms that my flock was carriers. There is no way of knowing if a chicken carries it. It was devastating.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I will not buy chicks that are not vaccinated. I bought a few a couple of years ago that were not vaccinated. Over a period of a couple of weeks they all died. I did not lose a single vaccinated bird.

8. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Hmm, I don't know. Our 4 hens that we got unvaccinated (we didn't know about vaccinating them) are fine.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You won't know if those 4 hens are carriers, unless they have never had contact with any other chicken. But you'll know when you get chicks and 6-8 weeks later they start to die one by one

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I will not have unvaccinated chicks...I still don't know where Marek's came from but I do know the devastation it can cause...vaccination is so simple and inexpensive, much better then the heartache that comes from the disease.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by