Is it a good idea to get chicks vaccinated for Marek's Disease?

Do you have your chicks vaccinated for Marek's?

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

lillypurrs23

Songster
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
We're getting new chicks from Meyer Hatchery to add to our flock. Our 4 hens that we have were not vaccinated for Marek's, should we get the new ones vaccinated?

I'm new to chickens but personally will not do vaccines. I'm not a fan and will let nature take its own course. Plus I dont want the added stuff in their meat and eggs.

I asked for my chicks to be vaccinated because I don't want to chance loosing any of the four that I got to something that could have easily been prevented with a buck fifty.

Thanks! I don't think we are going to get them vaccinated, unless my parents change their minds.

I got unvaccinated chicks last year and they all suffered and died because there were no signs or symptoms that my flock was carriers. There is no way of knowing if a chicken carries it. It was devastating.

I will not buy chicks that are not vaccinated. I bought a few a couple of years ago that were not vaccinated. Over a period of a couple of weeks they all died. I did not lose a single vaccinated bird.

Hmm, I don't know. Our 4 hens that we got unvaccinated (we didn't know about vaccinating them) are fine.

Hmm, I don't know. Our 4 hens that we got unvaccinated (we didn't know about vaccinating them) are fine.

You won't know if those 4 hens are carriers, unless they have never had contact with any other chicken. But you'll know when you get chicks and 6-8 weeks later they start to die one by one

I will not have unvaccinated chicks...I still don't know where Marek's came from but I do know the devastation it can cause...vaccination is so simple and inexpensive, much better then the heartache that comes from the disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom