Is it a good idea to move to a grower feed at 8wks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Apr 29, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    The brand of feed we use has a starter ( 18%) and a grower ( 16%) then 18 and 16% layer feed. The grower says it is for 8wk to laying age. I only have 6 hens ( 4 wks old now) should I stay on the starter feed until they are laying or move to the grower when they are 8 wks. We got grower by mistake so we have an almost full ( 50lbs) of it, They are on starter right now. Will they eat 50lbs of feed by laying age?

2. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:So, you have both starter and a grower?

Some folks don't bother with switching. They just give their layers some oyster shells for extra calcium.

You can probably find somebody on Craigslist that might take the bag of unused feed off your hands (might even try the local zoo).

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Finish the starter. Yes, they will eat the 50# of grower before they reach laying age.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:So, you have both starter and a grower?

Some folks don't bother with switching. They just give their layers some oyster shells for extra calcium.

You can probably find somebody on Craigslist that might take the bag of unused feed off your hands (might even try the local zoo).

Yeah we have both. I went and bought a small 10lb bag of starter when I realized I bought grower instead. I'm thinking use the starter until they are all 8 wks old then use up the grower? I don't know how old they will be when that is all gone. Then maybe stick with the grower until laying starts? So does the grower have more calcium? I'll look I have images of all the tags for the brand we are using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by