Is it a hen or rooster? how do you tell?

indego_88

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Australia
Would really like to know how to tell what our 10 week old pullets/cockeral are? Can you give any good websites or advice? Please help!

Quote:
Post some pictures and we'll let you know
smile.png

Christina

My gold-laced wyandotte pullet was VERY slow to feather out compared to the rest of the girls she came with, and I was sure she was a he. I was wrong! She never looked as terrible as your poor little slow-feathering baby though LOL. The others did pick her tail feathers out, just like your baby's. So frustrating. But she has grown into a gorgeous girl.

I'm still thinking yours is going to grow into a gorgeous boy, but like Mahonri said... the jury's still out.

Ha!!
frow.gif

Well, you already know what my opinion is from your last thread. I think the little one is a roo!
yippiechickie.gif

Sorry to poke fun.. You will be able to keep the little guy, won't you? If not, then I take back my poking. That would be sad.
His face is the same size as the bigger one, but the look on his face is just like our roo when he was little. We weren't sure until he was almost 4 months old. It was in his 4th month that he grew bigger than the hens, got real red in the face and then finally made a pathetic attempt to crow.
Keep us posted. I love their color!!

hmm i really hope he/she isnt... i doubt i will be able to keep he/she, even though I am so attatch to Sage (the little one). I have just discovered my other young Australorp "hen" in a rooster. Did its first pathetic attempt to crow today.

I guess it will be time that will tell. Sage has got A LOT of growing to do in the next few weeks.

Is it possible to check their vent?

Any way I will keep you posted on Sage's progress! I'd certainly like to see a lot more feathers soon!

Back
Top Bottom