Is it a roo? A easter egger?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bngarro, Jan 23, 2016.

1. bngarro

bngarro Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2016
    Washington
    [​IMG]

Hi, I'm a new chicken owner. I have 7 of them and I love them all! Anyway I'm discovering so many things about chickens. There's so much to learn. I have yet to figure out if I have any roo's. This one I think is a roo, we named her/him "Cleo" short for cleopatra (she looked egyptian with the black lines around her eyes). Lately she/he's been very aggressive. Picking fights, standing tall, and puffing the neck feathers out like a rapter lol. Isn't that what roo's do? Should I be concerned? What do you think the bread of him/her is? [​IMG] Thank you

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Welcome to BYC! So glad you could join! [​IMG]

That is a very pretty chicken! And I'm almost positive its a girl too! That coloration is only seen in girls and it is very similar to the color of my EE. She could either be an Easter Egger or part EE. Some breeds and some individuals are more aggressive then others. I have found EEs to be pretty bold birds.

I hope this answers your questions. Best of luck with your flock!

3. bngarro

Jan 23, 2016
    Washington
    Hi gitabooks, thank you for the response. She's only 5 months old, do they calm down after a while?

4. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't (it depends on the individual). She is around laying age, however, which is a very good reason for her change in behavior. When the others begin laying and things settle down in their laying cycle then she should calm down.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have an Easter Egger pullet. Because EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers their temperament can vary quite a bit depending on the brown egg laying breeds used in the cross and the genetics involved. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. bngarro

Jan 23, 2016
    Washington
    [​IMG]

Could this be her egg? It's an olive color with small speckles. It's our first egg from any of our chickens.

Thank you for all the response! I really thought she was a he lol because of the temperament.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. It could definitely be her egg. :eek:)

8. bngarro

Jan 23, 2016
    Washington
    Awesome! I was so excited to see this egg. It seemed like I was waiting forever to get an egg. I didn't think it was hers I have 2 that are 2 weeks older than my other 5. So I thought it was my yellow hen "buttercup". I have a Rhode Island red too but I'm not sure if it's a roo or hen yet.

9. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Feel free to post a picture of her and we can try to help.

Rhode Island Red roosters generally get a bright red comb before 10 weeks of age and the hens usually get it after 10 weeks of age, which can help determine if they are boys or girls.

10. bngarro

Jan 23, 2016
    Washington

Should I post it in this thread or a new one?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by