Is it a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by senorita sandra, Sep 4, 2013.

1. senorita sandra

senorita sandra New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    When I originally purchased these chickens I was told they where hens cause they where leghorns. Now I am unsure cause they have a lot of rooster like qualities. If someone could help me out that would be great. Thank you!![​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    hen, that looks very close to laying. Leghorns,even the hens, geve very large combs and wattles

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

White Leghorn hens get pretty big combs, so pictures of the side and tail area would help determine his/ her gender.

4. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Our Leghorns are getting their wattles and are almost as red. They're not exactly pet type personalities either. At least ours! So the rest of him/her would help a lot!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Leghorns are usually a more uptight high strung breed, but i do have a rose comb brown leghorn that is a lap chicken and never leaves me alone.

6. senorita sandra

senorita sandra New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Not all our chickens where purchased at the same time and for over a month we have had 3 eggs on a daily basis. Very good size eggs. I'll take more detailed pics first thing in the morning, so we can know for sure. Thank you all for your help!

7. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Hen . . . . how old?

8. senorita sandra

senorita sandra New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Ours are not lap chickens by no means and can be a little testy. My little girl seems to have a way with them though, so they don't give us to bad of temperament issues.

9. senorita sandra

senorita sandra New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Probably little older then 5 months.

10. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 little White Leghorn chicks are the friendliest of the flock, they race at you when you call them and like to be pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by