1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by audrey1236902, May 18, 2007.

1. audrey1236902

audrey1236902 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    I have a 5 week old americana and I ordered all hens, but her comb is looking a little pink and she is huge. I was wondering if it is possible she is a rooster.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    If you could post a pic, that would help. But generally if the comb is redder than the others, it might be a roo.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'd worry more if it were red, she may just be a piggy. [​IMG] I have two EE's and one girl was always bigger then the other and still is. JMO I don't have much experience w/ the 'breed'.

4. audrey1236902

May 11, 2007
    hmm.... well it's not THAT pink, she has no wattles yet, and seems to be a hen by her behavior. I have another americauna and her comb is not as pink as this one's and she is smaller. But I don't know because they can vary....[​IMG] I also have a silverlaced wyandot and her comb is a bit pink just like this chicken's so.... the wyandot is also supposed to be a hen and I have been compairing them to eachother, I know they are not the same breed so it won't be as acurate though. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    You know, I was thinking about it and I remember thinking last year that the bigger chick was a roo, because her comb was darker then the other one. Luckily though it was a girl. Unfortunately they both lay pink eggs, though. [​IMG]

6. audrey1236902

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG] thank you sooo much! That helps a lot! I really hope she is a hen. She is gorgeous!! she has black and gold dotted pattered feathers with a gold neck and a gold and black speackled chest. Thanks! I think I will be able to keep my pretty hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by