Is it a sign?

jeffwgood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Indiana
I have a hen that's 10 months old and has never layed an egg. Today I caught her sitting in the nesting box on a fake egg, is this a sign that she's gonna start laying soon? I'm not completely sure of her breed, possibly a rir.

It could be. I really hope so! 10 Months is a long wait.

Does she act grumpy when you reach in there and stay all day and night? = broody

If she spends a little time off and on and otherwise acting normal = perhaps laying is imminent

If she comes and goes, grunts and vent pulses = possibly egg bound

How many birds and what ages? What has been her feed makeup and how long?

I hope so too, she reached maturity right as winter was starting. Her adopted sisters ( Easter eggers) have been laying daily now.

The reason I asked the previous questions is that I assume they are on layer feed which is very high in calcium for a bird that isn't actively laying.

I've only caught her sitting once, seen her checking the box out one other time. She's not grumpy at all. She's been eating 16% layer crumbles. When she's walking around and you reach down she squats. I think she's gonna start laying soon. She has 3 other hens her age and a rooster and hen that's 6 months. There are two older bantam hens too, not sure of their age

Squatting means she wants to breed and is a sign of sexual maturity but doesn't mean laying is imminent.
Checking out the nest box does.

How long has she been on layer feed?

Last edited:
Yes she has been on layer feed for 4 months, she's cooped with other laying hens and feeds from the same feeder.

Back
Top Bottom