Is it a Silver Laced Wyandotte Pullet or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Candy Floss & Popcorn, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Candy Floss & Popcorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I am only new so I would love some professional opinions as to whether this 6 week old chick is a boy or girl. I would really like it to be a pullet because I lovingly raised 3 orpingtons last years only to have them turn out roosters!!! Please tell me it's a girl![​IMG] Thank you! Melanie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Legs are pretty thick but I think you have a pullet.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i agree, because the comb color....

4. reggiejr

reggiejr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    maine
    pullet

5. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yay! [​IMG] Thank you so much! So apart from the comb, are there any other distinguishing pullet features on 'her' that helps you decide?

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    No comb development or color to speak of which would indicat pullet, but the legs seem to be very thick and the tail isn't there at all. My slw pullets were also much darker then the boys at that age and yours has a lot of white--mine are feedstore hatchery chicks and that could just be something from the hatchery where mine came from and not an actuall "breed" thing, but all in all I have to disagree with the others and say I think you have a little roo. [​IMG]

Please update in a couple of weeks with new pictures so we can find out what s/he is for sure.

7. Candy Floss & Popcorn

Oct 30, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Oh No![​IMG] ... (Sob sob)
    I must admit, I have read another thread about the wyandotte roos just having a bit of fluff for a tail at this age. And this one has just that. I really badly want it to be a pullet..... Any chance the colour difference can be excused cos the bird is in Kiwi Land???!!! [​IMG] It's with some leghorns and shavers of a similar age and is much much smaller than them and really laid back. Always the last to leave the coop to play in the garden, the baby so to speak.

8. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i think its a pullet as i have 2 8week olds & im pretty sure i have 1 of each. not much diff in colors between them but he has a big fluffy tail that sticks straight up & hers is only half the size.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Roo [​IMG]

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    here is my jewel, she was a rescue, at this point couldn't walk, not even sure how old she was here

but i think the comb will help

[​IMG]

she was leaning on the couch, she couldn't stand yet- but her legs are pretty thick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by